Learning Support

☰ Related Pages

Learning support staff work with teachers in the classroom, helping pupils progress with their learning.

Teaching Assistants (TAs) – what would I do?

  • Work alongside teachers in the classroom, helping pupils with their learning on an individual or group basis.
  • You can specialise in areas such as literacy, numeracy, special educational needs, music, English as an additional language, and the creative arts.

Higher Level Teaching Assistants (HLTAs) – what would I do?

  • As an experienced teaching assistant you plan and deliver learning activities under the direction of a teacher and assess, record and report on pupils’ progress.
  • You may also manage other classroom-based staff or may supervise a class in a teacher's absence.

Nursery Nurses – what would I do?

  • Work in co-operation with a teacher, looking after the social and educational development of children.
  • Plan and supervise activities, and keep parents up-to-date with their child's progress.

Cover Supervisors – what would I do?

  • supervise pupils when teaching staff are absent.

Web Links

Early Years

  • Nursery Nurse
  • Early Years Assistant
  • Foundation Stage Assistant

Teaching Assistant/Bilingual Support

  • Teaching Assistant
  • Classroom Assistant
  • Learning Support Assistant
  • Bilingual Support Assistant
  • Higher Level Teaching Assistant

Special Needs

  • Special Needs Assistant
  • Learning Support Assistant
  • Teaching Assistant (Special Needs)

Cover Supervisor

  • Cover Assistant
  • Cover Supervisor
  • Cover Manager

Sports Coach