Post-Graduate Certificate in Education

☰ Related Pages

If you already have a degree, or want to get one before you begin training to be a teacher, this is the route for you.

How does it work?

You can undertake a PGCE at universities which offer Initial Teacher Training (ITT) or through a School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) consortium.

Most are one-year full-time courses, although some places offer these courses over two years, enabling you to continue in employment and study in your spare time.

If you decide to get a degree first, it is important to choose a course carefully. This includes checking its suitability with the initial teacher training institution where you plan to undertake your teacher training.

If you are going to teach at secondary level (Key Stage 3 or 4) then normally your first degree should be in the subject that you wish to teach, or a subject closely related to it. However, individual training providers may accept other degrees - please check with the individual training provider first whether your degree is acceptable.

Another alternative is to take your PGCE via the School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) route. These courses are run by accredited groups of primary and secondary schools, and also lead to Qualified Teacher Status.

A course of this kind has the advantage of offering full-time, hands-on training in at least two high-quality schools – wherever possible, these will be conveniently located in your area.

The small print

You need to satisfy the basic entry requirements for teacher training - GCSEs at grade C or above, or equivalent qualifications, in English and Mathematics. If you enter primary or Key Stage 2/3 training you also need a Science GCSE at grade C or above or an equivalent qualification.

You must also must pass the professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy before starting your course. Please see the Get into Teaching website for further details of the tests and information about the amendments which come into effect on 14 February 2018.

How to apply

Click here for details of local providers of PGCEs. You have to make your application for a PGCE course via UCAS.