Download printable version
Purpose of the Job:
To provide learning and care support for pupils with special educational needs (SEN). This will involve working with the teacher to plan and deliver activities and supporting pupils with routines, transitions and behaviour management.
· Build positive relationships with pupils, promoting high self-esteem and independence
· Adapt communication style to respond to pupils according to their individual needs
· Support pupils with their social, emotional and mental health needs, escalating concerns where appropriate
· Promote high standards of behaviour, responding to incidents in line with the school's behaviour policy and guidelines on physical intervention
· Assist with the development and delivery of individual education and support plans
· Contribute to the planning of differentiated learning activities for individual or small groups of pupils with special educational needs (SEN), delivering activities inside or outside the classroom
· Support the teaching of a broad and balanced curriculum aimed at pupils achieving their full potential in all areas of learning
· Use ICT skills to advance pupils' learning
· Through observations, provide regular feedback to teachers on pupil progress, attainment and barriers to learning
· Support class teachers with maintaining good order and discipline among pupils, managing behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment
· Monitor, record and report on progress and attainment
· Supervise a class if the teacher is temporarily unavailable
· Contribute to the overall ethos, aims and work of the school
· To organise and deliver behaviour groups including 'anger management'
· Communicate effectively with parents and carers under the direction of teachers and inclusion team
· Collaborate and work with colleagues and other relevant professionals within and beyond the school
· To listen and work with individual children, providing strategies to support their development as confident learners.
· To work with individual children who have low self esteem and lack confidence.
· To work with, or organise work with, a child when they need 'time out' of the classroom.