Download printable version
Woodcroft is a very special school, celebrating its sixtieth anniversary year at the forefront of independent SEN provision. Our long-standing head teacher will be retiring in 2024 and we are looking for a replacement to take forward his excellent work and respond to the ever-changing requirements of our pupils, whose needs cannot be met elsewhere.
Job description summary
The head teacher at Woodcroft reports to the board of directors.
- As designated safeguarding officer they are responsible for the care of pupilsin loco parentisas well as the safety of staff and visitors.
- They contribute fully to the school's direction and policy development, ensuring the provision of flexible individual education, therapy, behaviour and communication and pastoral care strategies.
- Upholding our ethos and established culture the head teacher promotes our values and high standards, celebrates our successes - and recognises and makes changes where we need to improve.
- As both a strategic and hands-on manager the head teacher is expected to work closely with pupils, parents, staff, and directors; and local authority professionals at all levels. The head teacher delegates collaboratively and effectively to the senior management team and wider staff.
Person specification summary
Qualifications and experience
- Qualified teacher status, degree (additional senior leadership qualification desirable).
- Extensive experience of teaching and senior leadership within a special school.
- Extensive experience of working with pupils with a wide range of complex special educational, therapeutic and behavioural needs.
Knowledge and understanding
- The SEN statutory framework.
- National curriculum in England: framework for key stages 1 to 3 and SEN related curriculum frameworks.
- A range of SEN specific curriculum, assessment and progress recording programmes, including assessment for learning.
- Therapeutic, medical and behavioural strategies, including physical intervention, and multidisciplinary working.
About Woodcroft School
Established in 1963, Woodcroft is owned and directed by the family of two of the founders. An independent SEN primary day school, Woodcroft is set in beautiful garden surroundings in Epping Forest on the outskirts of north east London.
Woodcroft is approved by the DfE for up to 50 pupils between 5 and 13 who rely on our highly specialist multidisciplinary staff team of around 70 people. Our pupils have severe and complex needs including severe learning delay; Autism; ADHD; mental health conditions; emotional, social and behavioural difficulties; communication difficulties; trauma; and medical conditions.
In March 2023 Ofsted judged the school to have met independent school standards and to begoodin its overall effectiveness and in respect of the individual criteria. We aim to be recognised by all as anoutstandingschool.
Woodcroft's independence allows for quick, flexible and sometimes innovative responses to the changing needs of its pupils. The school enjoys a very positive culture and excellent working relationships with parents and sending authorities, which results in the school normally being well subscribed.
Woodcroft is a great place to work, with a friendly welcoming team, lovely forest surroundings and a unique homely atmosphere.
For more information, including a full job description and person specification, or to enquire about an informal visit or application, please contact our office manager Trish Stokes on 020 8508 1369; or email firstname.lastname@example.org