Download printable version
Early Years Practitioner Senior - Job Advert including main duties
Caterpillars Pre-school has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Early Years Practitioner to join our dedicated team. The role requires a minimum Level 3 full and relevant qualification and as well as a SENCO qualification, or a willingness to be trained in this area.
The successful applicant will be based at our Marks Tey setting (CO6 1LW) which is a pack away pre-school based at St Andrews Church Hall (CO6 1LW) but you may be required occasionally to cover at our sister setting in Birch.
This role is for 16 hours a week (Monday -Thursday 8:30am-12:30pm). There will be additional hours paid each month to attend team meetings (Wednesday afternoons 3-4pm) and work on reports/folders for any key children allocated to you.
There may be some temporary changes to these hours (May 2024 - February 2025) to assist the setting in covering a period of maternity leave which will include some afternoon sessions (12:30-3pm).
Both our Caterpillars settings are rated Ofsted Outstanding. Caterpillars is a fun, proactive and supportive team who are passionate about children's development and making learning engaging and fun for all.
The successful applicant will report to the Pre-School Managers, Deputy Manager and Management Committee.
The main duties will include but are not limited to;
1. Assist with planning and implementing the curriculum. Helping to prepare, plan and lead small group activities with the children.
2. To help set up the room for the daily programme and help tidy away at the end of the session, ensuring that all toys and equipment are clean and safe at all times.
3. To act as a Key Person to a small group of children, carrying out observations and assessments, maintaining development records of progress and learning journey books, liaising closely with parents/carers.
4. To attend and contribute to staff meetings.
5. To be aware of any special needs a child may have and to familiarise oneself with relevant play and learning plans.
6. To contribute to their Key Child's Individual Educational Plan (Next Steps Plan) and implement activities as advised by SENCO and report back progress.
7. To ensure records are properly completed, e.g. daily attendance register and accident records.
8. To liaise closely with parents/carers, informing them about the pre-school and its curriculum, exchanging information about children's progress and encouraging parents' involvement.
9. Teach children, offering an appropriate level of support and stimulation.
10. Support junior members of staff showing good coaching and mentoring skills. Be a good role model.
11. Maintain confidential information regarding the children, their families and others.
12. To contribute to and to implement all pre-school policies and procedures.
13. To attend in-service training and meetings as required.
14. To support children in their care and hygiene routines.
15. To wear the Caterpillars uniform and appropriate footwear.
16. Undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the Pre-School Manager/Deputy or management committee. This may involve being the lead in a particular role.
1. CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Pre-school Practice, NVQ Level 3 or equivalent.
2. Be approachable; working co-operatively in the team.
3. A satisfactory enhanced DBS check which confirms suitability to work with children.
4. Good understanding of the EYFS and ability to fully implement all of its requirements.
5. Good understanding of child development and of children's needs.
6. Ability to plan and implement activities within the pre-school curriculum.
7. Ability to work with parents and to encourage their involvement.
8. Be aware of safe working practices.
9. Understanding of diversity and equality.
10. Ability to manage self and work calmly under pressure.
11. Ability to communicate effectively (including writing clear reports), within your team and a range of people, .
12. Ability to behave in a professional and appropriate manner towards children, parents and staff.
1. Experience of working in a similar position.
2. Paediatric First Aid qualification
3. SENCO or willingness to train in this area
NB: This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Applicants must be prepared to disclose any convictions they may have and any orders which have been made against them.
Salary: Current rate of pay is £10.60 per hour
Annual Salary between £7,200 - £7,600 Depending on qualifications and experience) including holiday pay.
Hours and holiday pay are averaged out over the year and made in 12 equally payments.
Reference ID: Early Years Practitioner L3 Snr - Autumn 2023
Application deadline: 01/12/2023
Interviews to take place the W/C 4th December 2023
Information about the School
Caterpillars is a successful committee-run preschool based in St. Andrew's Church in Marks Tey since 2002 and in Birch since 2009. Caterpillars also provides a breakfast club and after-school at Copford Church of England School which is run by the pre-school staff.
Caterpillars is thriving with both Marks Tey and Birch settings recently graded Outstanding. Caterpillars enjoys excellent parental support, a dedicated and hardworking team of staff and a well attended committee. Our whole ethos and focus is to provide the best environment we can for the children and we whole heartedly support our staff in achieving this.