Download printable version
ART & DESIGN TECHNOLOGY TEACHING ASSISTANT
Actual £22,481 - 48.6 weeks pro-rata Point 11 (FTE £24,054)
1. To be responsible to the Head of Design and Technology and the Head of Art for the provision of technical and other support to those Departments given that the distribution of time will be 60% towards Technology and 40% towards Art.
2. Within the Design and Technology Department to carry out a range of duties in support of teachers including:
* Responsibility for the care and maintenance of tools and machinery including sharpening and maintaining in a clean and usable condition all tools within the Department.
* Cleaning, oiling and maintaining (as appropriate) and on a regular basis all mechanical equipment so that such equipment may be used safely.
* Working alongside the Head of Department in maintaining satisfactory Health and Safety records and alerting the Head of Department should tools or equipment become faulty, broken or unsafe.
* Cutting and providing materials as requested by teaching staff and advising staff on stock levels.
* Ensuring that the Food Technology room is maintained to a high standard and that cleaning after lessons is thorough, including the preparation of equipment and support with laundry.
3. Within the Art Department to carry out a range of duties in support of teachers including:
* Cleaning the sinks, brushes, floors and working surfaces in the Art rooms.
* Assisting Art staff in the preparation of materials for lessons and, where possible, in the provision of stands or plinths for exhibitions.
* Advising relevant staff when stocks of materials are low.
* Preparing clay or recycled clay for use in lessons
* Replenish paper towels, check regularly
* Cutting and providing materials (paper, card, canvas, wood)
* Tidy cupboards, label and help organise resources
4. In both Departments to:
* Be in lessons, alongside the teacher, in circumstances where such a presence would be helpful to the individual work of pupils.
* Play a significant role in the management and ordering of stock in both Departments and to ensure that stock is classified, stored and audited as appropriate.
* Assume, under the direction of the appropriate Head of Department, responsibility for classroom display and to help to maintain an attractive teaching environment.
* Contribute, under the direction of the Head of Department, to the maintenance of pupil records and the collation of pupil data.
* Liaise, under the guidance of teachers, with the Reprographics Unit as appropriate.
* Prepare materials for lessons under the guidance of the teacher.
* Assist in the collection of voluntary pupil contributions where relevant.
* Be a first point of call for cover for examination invigilation or for teachers absent, whether through illness or other commitments.
* Help in the purchasing of materials using the School mini bus e.g. timber, plastic, tools.
* Support on trips, if necessary
5. To undertake such other activities, from time to time, as may reasonably be requested by the Head of Technology, the Head of Art, the Director of School Administration or the Headmaster.
6. Hours of work 37 hours per week
8.00 am - 4.00 pm Monday - Thursday
8.00 am - 3.30 pm on Friday with 30 minutes for lunch.
7. The division of time in the academic year 2021 will be 60% D&T 40% Art
8. During the allocated time in each department, it is expected that the Technician will be situated within the department area in order to provide immediate support as and when is necessary.
To work a total of 15 days for periods of School closure. At the discretion of the Heads of Department, although agreed at least one term in advance. Duties that require carrying out will include:
* Cutting of material and preparing project kits for the forthcoming term
* Disassembly, deep clean, oil and general maintenance of all machinery and equipment
* Annual PAT testing of electrical equipment
* Clear out and reorganise cupboards as necessary, disposing of obsolete stock or labelling it for later attention
* Full annual stock check against stock lists, including updating the inventories and then presenting them to the Head of Department, as requested
To give any other general assistance as may be reasonably requested by Art or DT staff or the Headmaster.
Information about the School
At Westcliff High School for Boys (WHSB) we continue to hold dear our values and traditions whilst fostering academic excellence and a dynamism which allow us to provide a twenty-first century world class education.
Our record of success is reflected in our outstanding A Level and GCSE results and we are committed to providing the highest standards in all aspects of our provision for pupils.