Download printable version
Every School has its own traditions, its own ethos, its own identity, and its own purpose. The purpose of Westcliff High School for Boys (WHSB) is to provide an excellent education for our pupils, supporting them in their journey to adulthood by developing character and intellect within a happy and scholarly community.
To this end, WHSB provides exceptional teaching and a wealth of extra-curricular activities to develop the Learner Profile attributes in our pupils through a unique education filled with exciting, challenging, and enjoyable experiences. Today, we continue our proud tradition as a Grammar School serving pupils within the local community and actively promoting the wonderful opportunities we can offer to local children and their families.
SUMMARY JOB DESCRIPTION
The role of the Sports Coach is to support the work of the PE Department. This involves assisting pupils in a range of sports during their Games lessons. Sports Coaches are also expected to make a significant contribution to the delivery and development of the School's extra curricular sports programme.
The Sports Coach will normally be based on the School site, but will be required to work elsewhere, e.g. for any fixtures, from time to time in order to fulfil his/her responsibilities. This is a part-time position, term time only.
This position is contingent upon undertaking work as a Sports Coach for up to 20 Saturday fixtures per years. These figures would be expected to last for up to four hours and are a requirement of the role. Work undertaken as a Sports Coach on Saturday will be payable at the rate of £13.91 per hour (Spinal Point 17, exclusive of holiday pay).
The position involves 26 hours per week, 38 weeks term time only, with the following hours:
12.30pm to 5.30pm x 4 days per week = 20 hours
11.00am to 5.30pm (less 30 minutes for lunch) x 1 day per week = 6 hours
26 hours per week/37 hours x 44.2 weeks/52.143 weeks @ Scale Point 17
SALARY, HOLIDAY ENTITLEMENT, and Pension
Salary is paid at Point 17 Full Time Equivalent £26,845, Actual Salary £16,180. There are 25 days' holiday plus statutory public holidays paid per annum which are included within the salary. Holiday is deemed to be taken within the School closure period. Support Staff at Westcliff High School for Boys are automatically enrolled in the Essex Pension Fund (Local Government Scheme).
LINE OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Sports Coach will report directly to the Director of Sport.
Duties and RESPONSIBILITIES
The main duties and responsibilities are indicated below. Other duties of an appropriate level and nature may also be required, as directed by the Headmaster.
1. Plan, prepare and deliver schemes of work (for timetabled Games lessons) and coaching programmes in accordance with the strategic vision for School Sport at WHSB.
2. Referee (as required) competitive fixtures against other schools during the week and on Saturday mornings.
3. Take responsibility for the coaching of a number of School Sport teams as directly by the Director of Sport and to assist with other coaching sessions as directed.
4. Ensure that, when representing the School, pupils at all times present themselves to a high standard with reference to punctuality, dress, engagement and conduct and that values to which the School is committed are reinforced by the Physical Education Department's work.
5. Ensure that, in their involvement in sporting activities within and outside the curriculum, pupils at all times conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner and respect the authority of the referee or the umpire.
6. Support the Director of Sport in the planning (including transport arrangements) and the playing of competitive fixtures against other Schools in as wide a range of sports as possible and across all year groups. This will include ensuring that the School enters local, regional and national competitions, as well as continues to expand the range of prestigious fixtures.
7. Assist the Director of Sport in the publication of fixture lists in relation to these programmes and the regular reporting of results.
8. Assist the Director of Sport in the identification of talented pupils who may be eligible for the award of a Sports Scholarship.
9. Maintain records to show pupil participation in extra-curricular activities and to provide this information to the School's Pastoral teams as required. This information will also be used in reaching decisions about the awarding of Sports Colours.
10. Provide comments on the achievement and attitude of pupils within timetabled Core Games to Physical Education staff to aid with the preparation of School reports.
11. Be watchful for development at School or National level affecting teaching and coaching within School Sport and to advise the Director of Sport accordingly.
12. Undertake such other duties as may, from time to time, be reasonably requested by the Headmaster, Assistant Head: Director of Lower School Studies or the Director of Sport.
Conditions of Employment
· The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the written Statement of Conditions of Employment (the Contract of Employment).
· The postholder is required to support and encourage the School's ethos and its objectives, policies and procedures as agreed by the Governing Body.
· The postholder shall uphold the School's policy in respect of child protection and safeguarding matters.
· The postholder may be required to perform any other reasonable tasks after consultation.
· This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It will be reviewed at least once a year and it may be subject to modification at any time after consultation with the postholder.
All staff members are required to participate in the School's Appraisal scheme.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Outgoing and confident manner.
All staff are responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students at Westcliff High School for Boys by ensuring compliance with the School's Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy at all times. It is a requirement of all staff to report any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of students to the Designated Safeguarding Lead.
This document summarises the main responsibilities of the post. All staff are required to undertake whatever else may reasonably be requested by the Headmaster. All staff are expected to uphold, support and realise the ethos of the School, as outlined in the Mission Statement and Learner Profile. Job Descriptions are subject to annual review.
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV along with a completed Support Staff Application Form to email@example.com.
Should we receive sufficient suitable applications for this position at an earlier point in the process, we reserve the right to close the advertisement early.
Information about the School
At Westcliff High School for Boys (WHSB) we continue to hold dear our values and traditions whilst fostering academic excellence and a dynamism which allow us to provide a twenty-first century world class education.
Our record of success is reflected in our outstanding A Level and GCSE results and we are committed to providing the highest standards in all aspects of our provision for pupils.