Download printable version
Play Coordinator Job Description - Howbridge Junior School
Reporting to: Headteacher
Contract / Hours:
11 hours per week
Salary: Scale 3 Point 4-5
The Play Coordinator will support and facilitate meaningful and productive child-initiated play during the school day in accordance with the Play Policy.
The post holder is responsible to the Headteacher and P.E. Leader for fulfilling the duties set out in this job description.
The post holder will have a responsibility to promote and safeguard the safety and welfare of children in accordance with the schools' Safeguarding Incorporating Child Protection Policy; Anti-Bullying Policy; Behaviour Policy; and in line with the school's values and mission statement.
● Ensure that all Play Team staff are completing their main duties to a high standard and that all staff are facilitating play development.
● Ensure you and your Play Team are aware of children's special medical conditions and the relevant precautions and treatments necessary.
● Support and uphold the school's values systems including rewards for positive attitudes and behaviours and sanctions for negative ones.
● Work with the Site Manager and Health and Safety Coordinators to ensure that all children have a safe site for play e.g. writing risk assessments and periodic site inspections
● Ensure there are sufficient resources to promote each of the 'play types' as listed in the Play Policy
● Check the quality and condition of resources and organise repair or removal of any resources that are not of a suitable condition.
● Ensure resources are stored appropriately.
● Organise and carry out the replenishment of resources through:
● Investigating funding from internal or external sources.
● Purchasing / collecting resources as required.
● Identify and recommend solutions to issues of an operational or organisational nature to the Assistant Headteacher or Headteacher as appropriate.
● Plan and organise regular team briefings for the play team on organisational arrangements
● Plan and lead termly play assemblies to communicate with pupils eg any new initiatives/play plans etc.
● Build Play Team members' expertise and practice.
● Induct and train members of the play team and monitor their performance through the school's performance management process.
● Organise and support pupil Playground Leaders with their role.
● Facilitate peer-led play opportunities.
● Ensure a rich and varied set of play opportunities is available to all children.
● Provide engaging playwork interventions for pupils who find positive behaviour choices challenging.
Knowledge, experience and training:
● Prior experience of working with children in an educational or playwork setting is essential.
● Relevant qualifications or experience of working with children.
● Playwork Level 2 or above.
Information about the School
Howbridge Junior School is a church of England school based in Witham, Essex. We aim to serve our community by providing an inclusive education of the highest possible quality within the context and ethos of Christian belief. While we actively promote Christian Values such as thankfulness, compassion and forgiveness, we respect the beliefs of other faiths and those of no faith.
Our aim is to be a safe place of distinctive excellence where all are valued as individuals and as God’s children.
At Howbridge Juniors we pride ourselves on fostering a culture of aspiration and self-belief and on providing a supportive and challenging learning environment in which all children can achieve their best.
Alongside academic work, we value developing the whole child and place great emphasis on fun, memorable learning experiences, participating in a huge range of sporting opportunities, charity and community work and more!
All our children, without exception, are encouraged and expected to work hard and to make a positive difference to themselves and others.
We have a team of friendly and enthusiastic staff who are committed to continuing to raise standards throughout the school and ensuring that we provide all of our children with every opportunity to achieve their dreams.