Download printable version
Teaching Assistant SEND
Temporary - named child contract
Hamstel Infant School & Nursery, Hamstel Road, Southend-on-Sea, Essex SS2 4PQ
Salary Range: Level 4, Points 4 to 7 £19,264 to £20,444 pro rata per annum (equates to £12,729 - £13,509 actual salary)
Hours of work: 28.33 hours per week, 8.30am to 3.10 pm, with 1 hour unpaid lunch break, term time only plus INSET days
1st September 2022
About the Role
We are looking to appoint a Teaching Assistant (SEND) for a named child with medical needs in our large Infant and Nursery school. This is a temporary appointment to provide support to a named pupil, therefore the contract will extend only until to the time the child is with us. Hamstel Infant School and Nursery prides itself on being a child focused, caring, inclusive community; one in which all stakeholders views are valued. We are proud to be held in high esteem by our families and the local community and wish to share this valued position with the right candidate. The successful applicant will hold a relevant Level 3 qualification, or be working towards this, and have significant experience of working in a school classroom environment. This position would be ideal for a graduate looking to enter the teaching profession as it would provide invaluable experience of working with children with Special Educational Needs. We are an inclusive nurturing school with excellent facilities for Outdoor Learning and an indoor swimming pool.
The main scope of the job will be:
· Maintain a positive working relationship with the class teacher and other supporting adults.
· Establish positive relationships with a named supported pupil and the class in general.
· Assist in the educational and social development of pupils individually or in groups under the direction and guidance of the head teacher, inclusion team and class teachers.
· Assist in the implementation of Individual Education Programmes for named pupil / pupils and help monitor their progress.
· Promote the inclusion and acceptance of children with special needs within the classroom.
· Participate in planning and evaluation of learning activities with the teacher, providing feedback to the teacher on pupil progress and behaviour.
· Provide suitable feedback to pupils under the guidance of the teacher.
· Arrange / provide resources for lessons / activities under the direction of the teacher.
· Provide support for individual pupils inside and outside the classroom to enable them to fully participate in activities.
· Work with other professionals, such as speech therapists and occupational therapists, as necessary
· Assist class teachers with maintaining pupil records.
· Support pupils with emotional or behavioural problems and help develop their social skills.
· Attending to pupils' personal needs including help with social, welfare, medical and health matters including minor first aid.
· Assist with the development, implementation and monitoring of ISP's
· Liaise with other staff and provide information about pupils as appropriate.
· To supervise pupils for limited and specified periods including break times when the post holder should facilitate games and activities.
· To assist with escorting pupils in educational visits.
· To respect confidentiality at all times.
· Attend relevant school meetings as required.
Closing Date: Midday Friday 8th July 2022
Interviews: Friday 15th July 2022
For further details or an application pack (if you are unable to download these from the website), please contact Mrs Rebecca Sanderson, HR Manager, Portico Academy Trust, Ronald Hill Grove, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex SS9 2JB
Telephone: 01702 987890
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All appointments are subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Support Staff Application Form
Teaching Assistant SEND Job Description
Teaching Assistant SEND Person Specification
Information about the School
At Hamstel Infant School and Nursery there is always a warm welcome awaiting you in
an environment that is both happy and safe. Our special motto is ‘We Care…’ and
this is fundamental to everyone and everything we do. Our school is an inclusive,
caring and vibrant educational learning space that has grown to five forms of entry
with a Nursery of 48 full-time equivalent places.
We have a fabulous team of committed and enthusiastic staff and Governors, all of
whom are supported by the excellent resources we have on a spacious site, with well-resourced facilities and the expertise to provide your child with unique opportunities for learning. We have a large team of highly dedicated professionals who are committed to guiding the children’s learning and development to enable them to reach their full potential. Our team uses a whole school nurture approach to guide children with their personal and social skills in order to prepare them for life-long learning.
We are a very inclusive school and pride ourselves in treating every child and family as individuals. We encourage all our children to achieve their best and grow into thoughtful, kind and considerate members of the school community and society as a whole. We take great pride in sharing our school’s many achievements and special awards to advance our
skills and support others too