Download printable version
Philip Morant School & College
Higher Level Teaching Assistant for a child with complex needs
Pay Range: Local Government Band Scale 7 (Point 19-24)
Actual Salary: £17,443 - £19,627
Start Date: September 2022
We are seeking to appoint an experienced Higher Level Teaching Assistant to support a young person with their complex needs. The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the skills and experience necessary to provide a highly individualised approach to academic and health needs. (The student has medical needs which require full time nursing support, so you will be working with their nurse to provide care, guidance and support.) In addition to being available in classroom lessons, you will also be delivering 1:1 sessions and providing support in the home or hospital when the young person cannot attend school fora prolonged period.
We would consider a job share.
We can fund an HLTA qualification for the right person if they would like to further their qualifications.
The role requires a driving licence and a car to travel to the home.
Philip Morant is a popular, mixed comprehensive, in north-east Essex. The school has served the town of Colchester for over half a century and has a tradition, not only of excellence in education but also caring for its young people. Philip Morant is a happy school in which, overwhelmingly, students feel safe and achieve well.
Our vision is simple. We want a community where everyone feels they belong and are the best they can be. Our ethos is encapsulated in three words: 'Aspiration, Success, Kindness' which underpin our approach to all aspects of school life.
Philip Morant & College is ambitious for all of our students in their pursuit of excellence whether that is in the classroom, on the football pitch, the stage or working within the community.
We are committed to achieving the highest standards and delivering a holistic education and experiences which prepare our students for the next stage in their education, training or work place.
Please feel free to contact us on 01206 545222 if you require any further information about the school, or would like to arrange a visit. We will offer you a warm welcome and let you see for yourself why we are proud of our school.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
● supporting lessons, delivering 1:1 sessions in school, and providing support in the home or hospital when the young person cannot attend school fora prolonged period.
● Assess the needs of the named pupil and use detailed knowledge and specialist skills to support this pupils' learning.
● Be responsible for recording progress and achievement in lessons/activities systematically and providing evidence of range and level of progress and attainment
● Establish productive working relationships with the named pupil, acting as a role model and setting high expectations
● Comply with and assist with the development of policies and procedures relating to child protection, equal opportunities, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting concerns to an appropriate person
(The full details can be found in the attached Job Outline and Person Specification).
We're looking for you if you have:
● Successful recent experience working with children in a learning environment
● Medical experience (perhaps supporting a student with complex medical needs including diabetes)
● LSA Experience
● Successful completion of training to support SEN if appropriate
Why work for The Sigma Trust, Philip Morant School & College?
We can offer you:
● A Competitive Salary
● Robust school CPD training programme that enables you to flourish
● Opportunities to work with colleagues across the Trust to share resources, ideas and build collaborative relationships
● Employee Benefits: Employee Assistance Programme, Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme and Discounted Gym Membership at selected local gyms
For additional information about the Trust and this school, please visit our website www.sigmatrust.org.uk
To apply for this post, pleasefollow the URL link provided below:
Closing date: Midday Friday, 1st July 2022
The Sigma Trust is committed to safeguarding and protecting the children and young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our schools.
Information about the School
We are a large secondary school in Colchester and also enjoy a thriving Sixth Form College. We are a popular School with waiting lists for every year and are proud of our strong academic record. We have an excellent and enthusiastic staff led by a strong senior leadership team and we work hard to provide an environment where every student is valued and their varying needs met. Our pastoral care is based upon a highly successful house system and ensures support both for students and parents.