Download printable version
This outstanding grammar school seeks to appoint a Grounskeeper.
Spinal Point 3 (Actual Salary £18,887)
The Groundskeeper will be accountable to the Facilities and Premises Manager, and through them, to the
Headmaster. They will carry out any specific instructions given to them by the Premises Manager or the
The Groundskeeper will be responsible for:
• Preparing and maintaining to the highest possible standard all playing surfaces as required.
• Sweeping and collecting leaves to keep paths clear and safe, with particular attention to entry/exit
• Checking the condition of all external furniture including the benches, posts and fences. Reporting
and repairing damages to the Premises Manager.
• Working closely with the Director of Sport to ensure that the needs of the Physical Education
Department are understood and met.
• Erecting, dismantling and storing rugby and football posts and maintaining them in good condition,
with assistance from caretakers or School Grounds contractor.
• Marking clearly and accurately all playing and training areas, including tennis courts and grids.
• Cutting the grass in the Quadrangles, lawns to the front of the School and other designated areas
on a weekly basis during the growing season and ensuring prior to cutting that all litter or debris
has been removed. Keeping both Quadrangles in excellent appearance, cutting and removing
• Making good of any areas facing unforeseen issues within the grounds, ie. incorrect markings and
assisting with the set-up for last minute events.
• Ensuring that the flower beds and bushes at the front of the School (including the roundel) and in
the East Playground are tended and trimmed to prevent weeds and overgrowth.
• Maintaining mechanical equipment and, in consultation with the Facilities & Premises Manager,
making appropriate arrangements for the servicing of equipment.
• Maintaining all planters and pots around the School site and, notably, at the front of the School.
• Preparing the grounds for any special events (such as Sports Day) in accordance with instructions
received from the Facilities & Premises Manager.
• Keeping a full record of grounds equipment held, checking and updating the record on a regular
basis and advising the Facilities & Premises Manager of any maintenance or renewal necessary of
• Walking the site's external perimeter and removing litter in accordance with a schedule provided
by the Facilities & Premises Manager.
• Working with the Facilities and Premises team during adverse weather conditions, such as snow
and ice, to ensure the site is safe.
• Assisting the caretakers with large set ups in the Main Hall or other reasonable tasks as
determined by the School.
• Assisting with weekend and/or evening lettings.
• Have due regard in relation of Health and Safety when undertaking duties
• The Groundskeeper may be directed to undertake other tasks for general maintenance when
weather conditions make the performance of normal duties impossible.
HOURS OF WORK
The Groundskeeper will work between 7.00am - 3.00pm (2.30pm on Friday) and each day will include a
30-minute break for lunch. Any extra hours worked, either during evenings or at weekends will be
recognised through overtime payments although additional hour must be authorised in advance by the
The Groundskeeper will be entitled to leave amounting to 22 days each year (increasing to 25 days after
5 years) in addition to 8 days statutory holidays, within School holiday time.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The post holder's responsibility for
promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom he/she is
responsible, or with whom he/she comes into contact will be to adhere to and ensure compliance
with the school's Child Protection Policy at all times. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the
post, the post-holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of
children in the school, he/she must report any concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Information about the School
At Westcliff High School for Boys (WHSB) we continue to hold dear our values and traditions whilst fostering academic excellence and a dynamism which allow us to provide a twenty-first century world class education.
Our record of success is reflected in our outstanding A Level and GCSE results and we are committed to providing the highest standards in all aspects of our provision for pupils.