Download printable version
Philip Morant School & College
LSA VI- fixed term (linked to named students)
Pay Range: Local Government Scale 6
£17,441 - £19,256 (Point 12-17)
Start Date: 1st September 2022
Philip Morant is looking to expand its Enhanced Provision with the appointment of two Learning Support Assistants specialising in supporting learners with a Vision Impairment. The Enhanced Provision supports learners with hearing impairments and vision impairments in a large mainstream setting, providing students with support to be included in lessons and the tools to become independent learners. The role will involve working directly with the Qualified Teacher of Vision Impairment based at the school in order to assist teachers with the planning of lessons, create tactile resources including the use of Grade 2 Braille, support directly in lessons and support in the development of the 'additional curriculum' and specialist skills related to having a vision impairment; such as mobility and ICT skills.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
· Providing direct support during lessons in order for student/s to access their learning, including the use of specialist resources such as braille and tactile diagrams during a busy mainstream lesson.
· Post-tutoring where necessary to check understanding, and reinforce key learning points.
· Providing constructive feedback to class teachers on how the VI pupil has responded to the lesson, when requested.
(The full details can be found in the attached Job Outline and Person Specification).
We're looking for you if you have:
· Specialist Knowledge and Experience, including being fully contracted in Braille,
or the willingness to learn Braille
· Ability to build a rapport with all learners
· Experience of working with or supporting learners with a vision impairment, including Braille
Why work for The Sigma Trust, Philip Morant School & College?
We can offer you:
· A Competitive Salary
· Robust school CPD training programme that enables you to flourish
· Opportunities to work with colleagues across the Trust to share resources, ideas and build collaborative relationships
· Employee Benefits: Employee Assistance Programme, Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme and Discounted Gym Membership at selected local gyms
For additional information about the Trust and this school, please visit our website www.sigmatrust.org.uk
To apply for this post, please apply via the URL Link provided below:
Please note that only fully completed application forms will be accepted and any CV's and accompanying covering letters will be disregarded. A Notes for Applicants document is attached for further information.
Closing date: Midday, Thursday 30th June 2022
The Sigma Trust is committed to safeguarding and protecting the children and young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our schools.
The Sigma Trust is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of any protected characteristics. This is embedded in our vision 'To Be Greater Than The Sum Of Its Parts', where we believe we are strong and more successful working together, creating a workplace which celebrates diversity.
Information about the School
We are a large secondary school in Colchester and also enjoy a thriving Sixth Form College. We are a popular School with waiting lists for every year and are proud of our strong academic record. We have an excellent and enthusiastic staff led by a strong senior leadership team and we work hard to provide an environment where every student is valued and their varying needs met. Our pastoral care is based upon a highly successful house system and ensures support both for students and parents.