Download printable version
Science Lab Technician Job Specification
Full - time, permanent, term time only
We require a Science Lab Technician To provide full technician support to teaching staff, particularly in the preparation and cleaning/clearing of lesson materials and to undertake administrative tasks when requested.
Completed application forms should be sent to Mrs Reena Patel, Business Manager, at the school address. CVs will not be accepted.
• To ensure the efficient preparation and organisation of equipment for lessons as required.
• To clean equipment and laboratories after each lesson and any chemical spillage when they
• To ensure that science lessons are promptly and adequately serviced by providing requested
materials and apparatus organised to facilitate the smooth running of the lesson, and by
clearing laboratories at the end of the lesson
• Storing chemical stocks in an orderly and safe manner
• Maintaining apparatus in a usable state and undertaking minor repairs where feasible.
• Making up standard laboratory solutions within Health and Safety guidelines.
• Under guidance, becoming familiar with the Health and Safety implications of all laboratory
techniques and chemicals used and advising staff where necessary.
• Assisting teaching staff and pupils in practical work when required.
• Undertaking regular stock checks as directed by the Head of Science
• Working in co-operation with teachers to ensure the smooth and safe running of all aspects
of the department.
• To ensure safe storage and use of laboratory equipment.
• To support teaching staff and pupils during lessons and also to assist in the setting up of
• To assist in preparing lesson materials in other departments from time to time.
• To liaise with other departments/schools re use of additional/specialist
• To refer stock requirements to the Head of Science
• To undertake routine photocopying as required.
• To liaise with caretaking staff regarding any gas/fume problems that may occur.
• To ensure the application of Health and Safety procedures and to raise awareness of H&S
issues specifically in relation to laboratories.
• To assist in ensuring the safe conduct of pupils in the department. To support the school in undertaking general duties as and when needed.
• Excellent communication and organisational skills with the ability to pay close attention to
detail whilst managing a busy workload.
• Great problem-solving skills with the ability to make decisions, take accountably and
responsibility for their actions.
• Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to manage school site properties and
responsibilities, often out of normal school time.
• Good interpersonal skills and able to work collaboratively with their stakeholders both
internally and externally.
• Good IT skills, Word, Excel & Teams.
• The ability to undertaken general repairs / refurbishment at satisfactory level.
• Knowledge of electrical, mechanical and building structures.
• Good understanding of Health and Safety and COSHH regulations.
• Ability to identify harmful or potentially harmful conditions/ practices / procedures within
general areas of responsibility.
• Ability to liaise with and administer repairmen / contractors with prior knowledge.
Essential Qualifications & Skills:
• GCSE Mathematics and Science Grade C or above.
• Experience of working in a Science Laboratory and an educational establishment.
• Effective communication & interpersonal skills - relate with tact & discretion to people at all
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to multi-task and deal with a wide range of demands from a variety of people.
• A thorough and up to date knowledge of his/her subject specialism.
• A sound understanding and competence in IT.
• Good organisational skills.
• Ability to prioritise work and manage own time effectively.
• Flexible attitude to day-to-day tasks.
• Ability to provide timely and accurate information.
• Willing to take part in all aspects of school life, contributing to whole school initiatives.
• A knowledge of Biology/Chemistry is desirable.
• GCSE English Grade C or above.
• Knowledge and understanding of Positive Behaviour Management
Information about the School
Colchester High School has a proud and reputable history of providing students with the best education possible. We have our own traditions, characteristics, strengths, and our own – extremely high – standards.
Everybody associated with Colchester High School shares our ethos of small classes and high-quality individualised teaching. By sticking to these key principles, we can ensure that every pupil is given the opportunity to reach their full academic potential.