Download printable version
JOB PURPOSE: To lead the Preschool Team to provide inclusive play and learning opportunities for all children attending the Preschool and to maintain a safe, stimulating and enjoyable environment. She/he will manage the provision, including staffing levels, and be responsible for the Room Leader and ensuring all ratios are adhered to and the smooth running of each session.
1. To manage the Preschool and undertake all the necessary duties in the absence of the Preschool Manager.- answering phone calls, emails, showing prospective parents around. Planning and running in house training sessions, etc
2. To implement and follow all Preschool Policies and Procedures and to ensure that these are followed by the staff.
3. To oversee the planning, delivery and monitoring of the Preschool's EYFS curriculum in accordance with the children's social, emotional, physical and intellectual needs in collaboration with the Preschool Room Leader.
4. To ensure that all children have observations on EYLOG and all Key persons are upto date with their paperwork.
5. To support the room leader in supervising relevant staff on a daily basis, including staffing levels, staff deployment, staff sickness and covering staff absence.
6. To supervise volunteers, students on placements and work experience in the Preschool.
7. To supervise the children where appropriate and to protect them from dangerous or harmful situations.
8. To share any child protection concerns immediately with the Preschool Manager
9. To be the deputy designated safeguarding lead
10. To provide and model a high level of care that will enhance the children's general health and well-being.
11. To ensure that all new children are allocated with a key person and work with the Room leader to organise and supervise settling in sessions. To monitor staff while settling in children to be on hand to support.
12. To be aware of children's special educational needs and ensure staff support these children effectively, including modelling behaviour expected. To support the Preschool SENDCo.
13. To delegate roles within the team ensuring that the following is also covered -
ENCO - including cultures and celebrations, Health and Safety, Under 2's room,
14. To liaise regularly with parents/carers .
15. To arrange and attend parents'/carers' meetings to allow two-way discussion of their children's progress.
16. To liaise with staff on snack menu planning ensuring the children receive a healthy, multi-cultural diet and to order any items required.
17. To contribute to and attend his/her supervisions and staff appraisal's.
18. To complete termly staff supervisions.
19. To attend and run regular team meetings, half termly, providing a written report and ensuring that reports from senior members of staff are provided before the meeting.
20. To liaise and work in partnership with other agencies, both statutory and voluntary, where appropriate.
21. To attend any conferences, training events or meetings as identified by the Preschool Manager and to keep up to date with current good practice.
22. To adhere to the Preschool's policies and code of practice on confidentiality.
23. To adhere to and undertake the six criteria of Key Elements of Reflective Practice.
24. To perform any other duties as deemed necessary by the Preschool Manager.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of duties and the post holder will be required to undertake any other reasonable duties discussed and directed by the line manager.
1. A minimum Level 3 early years education and childcare qualification (e.g. Pre-school Learning Alliance Diploma in Pre-school Practice, NVQ 3, or equivalent) and a commitment to obtaining further qualifications as appropriate.
2. Post-qualification experience in running or helping to run a similar service.