Download printable version
Pay Range: New Essex Pay Scales - Scale 3/4
Annual Salary: £18,933 - £20092
Actual Salary: £13810 - £14087
Weeks per year: Term time only
Days: 5 days per week
Hours:32.5 hours per week
Thurstable School are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and hardworking Learning Support Assistant. As well as supporting pupils one to one and in groups, a key component of the role will be to act as a key worker providing personal care to a pupil with a physical disability. This will include providing assistance with navigating the school site, assistance at mealtimes and with toileting.
You will need to work alongside the Learning Support Department and Class Teachers providing whole class support as well as working on a one to one support basis to provide academic support, personal development and guidance. You must be creative in your approach and able to keep pupils focussed throughout the lessons. Building good relationships with the student and parents is vital in order to achieve progress.
The ideal candidate will:
· have recent experience of working in a similar role
· a good standard of English and Maths (to GCSE level)
· have relevant knowledge of Safeguarding procedures and why these are important
· have relevant training
· have experience of working with parents to support a pupil
· enjoy being with children
· have the ability to work independently using own initiative
· be physically fit due to physical demands of post
· be patient, empathetic and understanding
· be able to work well as part of team
· be accepting of advice and direction with a willingness to act upon this
· be flexible and adaptable
· respect confidentiality
· ensure high standards in behaviour and pupil learning. Working in accordance with school policies
· be willing to attend training and have a commitment to professional development
You will be working with an experienced team of LSA's. Training will be provided.
Information about the School
Thank you for taking an interest in joining us as at Thurstable School.
Thurstable School is an ambitious 11-19 academy with 1209 students, located in Tiptree near Colchester in Essex. I have been in post since September 2020 and am extremely excited about the journey we have just started. We believe that all children have limitless potential, and are proud to offer a comprehensive education to all students in our local community. We expect all staff, students and parents to embrace our three principles - Work Hard, Be Kind and Leave a Legacy - so that our students leave school as ambitious, confident and successful young adults with the highest standards of integrity.
Why join us?
● We are committed that classrooms should be disruption free so that every minute counts and are adopting a centralised approach to behaviour centred on a warm/strict philosophy and shared routines across the school. It is these routines that allow the positive student-staff relationships to flourish.
● We think you, the teacher, is the expert. We promote the importance of teacher led lessons based on brilliant subject knowledge, great explanations and skilful questioning. We are equally committed to continuing to develop your subject knowledge and pedagogy.
● Our commitment to genuine development, our CPD is based on a shared understanding of Teaching and Learning based on the work of Rosenshine and Lemov’s Teach Like A Champion, and from September all teaching staff (including the Headteacher) will receive coaching feedback at least every fortnight.
● We are committed to staff wellbeing and adopting sensible approaches to workload. We recognise the efforts and achievements of all our staff on a weekly basis and never take anyone’s work for granted.
● We are on a journey of which you can be a driving part. Our school improvement groups, led by non-SLT members, are crucial to driving change in the school and this year played a key role in shaping our behaviour policy, uniform and staff development model.
We believe this is an exciting time to join the school and help our students reach their undoubted full potential. If you can dream big, work hard and also have a sense of fun, I genuinely believe that you will really enjoy working at Thurstable.
Our new website will be online after Easter and provide a clear picture of our aspirations and our vision; however, please do not hesitate to contact us to seek further information. We very much look forward to receiving applications from candidates whose personal qualities, values and experiences support and reflect ours. We welcome visits or conversations with prospective applicants.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people therefore this appointment will be subject to vetting, including an enhanced DBS disclosure.
We look forward to hearing from you soon