Download printable version
Job Description for Room Leader
Job title: Room Leader
Responsible to: Setting Manager
Responsible for: The wellbeing and education of children within the setting and team of staff
Purpose of the job: To assist in the providing of safe, high quality education and care for pre-school children; to work in line with legal and statutory requirements (EYFS);
To undertake Key person role ensuring accurate and regular information is recorded
1.To be a role model to the staff team. Be able to showcase high quality practice and motivate the staff.
2. To be responsible for providing a high quality of teaching and learning, ensuring that staff are properly deployed and offer appropriate stimulation and support to the children
3.To demonstrate excellent behaviour management practice and guide and support staff for a consistent approach
4. Support and develop an enabling environment using both the indoor and outdoor spaces effectively
5. To be responsible for the day to day supervision of staff as a room leader,
6.In partnership with the Setting Manager, to assist drawing up long term, medium term and seasonal curriculum plans which take into account the requirements of the EYFS; to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the pre-school curriculum.
7. To assist the manager to undertake staff observations and provide constructive feedback to staff.
8. To authorise staff observations on Tapestry for your class, ensuring that these are of good quality and accurate.
9. To ensure records are properly maintained, e.g. daily attendance register and accident records.
10. To promote equality and diversity within the Pre School challenging behaviour, language and practice which does not support inclusive practice.
11. To abide by the Pre School's code of confidentiality at all times
12.To contribute to and to implement all pre-school policies and procedures, especially those on equal opportunities and confidentiality.
13. To attend training and meetings as required.
14. To undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the Management Team in accordance with the pre-school business plan/objectives including recruitment and induction of staff; also ensuring students and volunteers receive adequate mentoring.
NB: This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Applicants must be prepared to disclose any convictions they may have and any orders which have been made against them.
Person specification -The essential criteria for this position are as follows:
✓ A minimum of Level 3 qualification in childcare
✓ Ability to showcase excellent childcare practice.
✓ Sound understanding of child development and of children's needs.
✓ Ability to plan and implement a pre-school curriculum, taking into account the SEN Code of Practice, safeguarding procedures and equal opportunity considerations.
✓ Ability to work with parents and to encourage their involvement.
✓ Commitment to and understanding of ENCO.
✓ Ability to manage self and work calmly under pressure.
✓ Ability to communicate effectively with a range of people.
✓ Demonstrate professionalism in approach to managing all issues.
✓ A satisfactory enhanced DBS check which confirms suitability to work with children.
✓ Health clearance for the role.
Previous applicants need not apply
Mon - Fri 08.30 - 3.45