Download printable version
Position: Pre-School Practitioner Level
Responsible to: Pre-School Manager
Mon/ Tues/ Fri 08.30 - 3.45
Wed/ Thurs 08.30 - 12.43
Purpose of Job:
To work as a key worker and as part of the pre-school team under the direction of the pre-school leader to provide safe, high quality education and care for young children.
· To assist with the planning of the curriculum.
· To act as a key worker to a small group of children, liaising closely with parents/carers and ensuring each child's needs are recognised and met.
· To advise the pre-school leader of any concerns, e.g., over children, parents or the safety of equipment, preserving confidentiality as necessary.
· To teach children, offering an appropriate level of support and stimulation.
· To take additional responsibility in an area as designated by the Manager.
· To support student / volunteer development and attainment of qualifications.
· To keep completely confidential any information regarding the children, their families or other staff which is acquired as part of the job.
· To carry out observation and record keeping as directed by the pre-school leader.
· To ensure records are properly maintained, e.g., daily attendance register, accident and incident book.
· To contribute to and to implement all pre-school policies and procedures, especially those on equal opportunities and confidentiality.
· To attend weekly staff meetings.
· To attend in-service training courses and meetings as required.
· To help set up the classrooms for the daily programme following the daily planning sheet, and to help tidy away at the end of session.
· To undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the pre-school leader, in accordance with the pre-school's business plan/objectives.
NB: This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Applicants must be prepared to disclose any convictions they may have and any orders which have been made against them.
These duties are a guide to the work you will be required to undertake. They may be changed to meet changing circumstances, and do not form part of the Contract of Employment.
This Job Description is not intended to provide rigid demarcation lines.
It is the duty of all members of staff to strive towards creating harmonious, professional working relationships with other team members and children necessary for the efficient running of a good pre-school.
The team aims towards maintaining the goodwill and confidence of the other tea m members, parents, children and Committee. To assist in achieving this objective, it is essential that team members carry out their duties in a courteous, sympathetic manner at all times.
Essential Experience, Skills & Attributes of the Post holder:
1. CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Pre-School Practice or other relevant level 3 early years qualification
2. Previous experience of working with young children.
3. Previous experience of planning,
4. Knowledge of Ofsted,
5. Proven experience in key worker system and assessments.
6. Commitment to equal opportunities.
7. Commitment to young children and families.
8. Computer literate
9. Ist Aid Certificate
10. Friendly, flexible approach.
11. Health cleared for the role.
12. Be willing to undertake further training.