Download printable version
Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator
Responsible for: The management of the special educational needs (SEND) provision in the setting.
Qualifications - Level/3 and SENDCO experience
Interviews to be held wc 6 September 2021
Key Purpose of the Job
To provide safe, high quality education and care for pre-school children that meets the individual needs of the children attending the setting; to fulfil legal and statutory requirements and to contribute to and implement pre-school policies under the direction of the Manager.
1. Overseeing the day to day operation of the SEND policy.
2. Co-ordinating provision in the setting for children with SEND.
3. Contributing towards implementing duties related to relevant legislation.
4. Monitoring the observation, identification, assessment and support of children with SEND.
5. Collating information on individual children.
6. Ensuring all records on children with SEND are maintained and relevant information is passed to Reception teachers and schools SENDCO at transition. Ensuring with parents and carers.
7. Offering confidential support and advice to parents. This will include daily informal contact and regular reviews of their child's progress.
8. Advising and supporting staff on issues relating to inclusive practice. This may include contributing towards relevant in-house training.
Seeking support and advice from the settings management team to ensure effective delivery of the settings SEND provision
9. Seeking support and advice from the settings management team to ensure effective delivery of the settings SEND provision.
1. A recognised level 3 in childcare and education qualification.
2. Proven experience of working within a childcare setting and some experience of working with children with SEND and or impairments.
3. Some knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation such as SEND code of practice and the disability discrimination Act (DDA).
4. Good written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to foster relationships.
5. Knowledge of differentiating the early years curriculum for all children and knowledge of the procedure for implementing a graduated response.
6. Commitment to promoting the ethos of effective inclusion to all users, visitors, staff and the local community.
7. Good observation, identification, assessment and record keeping skills.
8. The ability to work as part of the senior management team on the delivery of the SEND provision.
9. The ability to manage time and workload effectively.
10. Willingness to undertake further training related to the role.
1. Knowledge and experience of working with external agencies.
2. Awareness of current SEN issues through relevant training and/or personal experience.
3. Knowledge of an alternative communication system such as Makaton or the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS).
4. Previous experience in training staff.
Theydon Bois Pre-school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. In line with safer recruitment procedures our appointments are subject to successful references and enhanced DBS checking.
Information about the School
Theydon Bois Preschool is a registered Charity run by a Committee of volunteer parents/carers as well as two Managers Tammy Brandon and Christine Hall. Together they supervise a team of well qualified friendly staff.
We are registered to provide care for children from the age of 30 months to 5 years 38 weeks of the year. Our opening hours are 9.00 am - 3.00 pm Monday to Friday except Tuesdays where we close at 12.00 pm.
Our learning areas are divided between a large main hall, a small room that we use for story time, as well as an outdoor area where we have a mud kitchen, music wall and pirate ship role play area. We also have a small grassed area where the children play and learn all about caring for plants and exploring mini beasts.