Download printable version
Pre-School Practitioner Level 2/3
o NVQ L3 or equivalent
o DBS check
o Previous experience with pre-school age children
o Current First Aid Certificate preferred
Key Purpose of the Job
To provide safe, high quality education and care for pre-school children that meets the individual needs of the children attending the setting; to fulfil legal and statutory requirements and to contribute to and implement pre-school policies under the direction of the Manager.
1. To assist with the delivery of the curriculum using the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum for guidance.
2. To help set up the learning environment for the daily programme and to help tidy away at the end of the session. Including the rotation of toys in line with the six areas, in readiness for the session under direction of the supervisor.
3. To act as a key person to a small group of children, liaising closely with and building an effective relationship with parents / carers and other family members.
4. Work in partnership with parents / carers and other family members.
5. To advise the Pre School manager of any concerns e.g. with children, parents or the safety of equipment, preserving confidentiality as necessary.
6. To teach children, offering an appropriate level of support and stimulating learning experiences.
7. To ensure that children are kept safe and that you understand when to follow child protection procedures.
8. To support mealtimes within the session.
9. To actively participate in team meetings and appraisal meetings, complying with the supervision policy and appraisal process.
10. To attend training courses as required and to take responsibility for your development.
11. To keep completely confidential any information regarding the children, their family or other staff, which is appropriate as part of the job.
12. To be aware of and adhere to all the setting's operational policies and procedures, e.g. health and safety, fire precautions, dropping off and collection of children, food safety, cleanliness of the setting and any other relevant policies and procedures.
13. To ensure that adequate records are kept and updated in line with Pre School policy.
14. To promote the Pre School to current parents and potential customers.
15. To work with students and voluntary helpers as directed by the Pre School Manager or Supervisor and under their Supervision.
16. To undertake any reasonable duties as directed by the Pre School Manager, in accordance with the setting's business plan/ objectives.
17. To take a lead role in the running of part of the session when required by the Pre School Manager or Supervisor.
This Job Description is not an exhaustive list of duties and the post holder will be required to undertake any other reasonable duties discussed and directed by the line manager or Committee Chair person.
Theydon Bois Pre-school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. In line with safer recruitment procedures our appointments are subject to successful references and enhanced DBS checking.
Information about the School
Theydon Bois Preschool is a registered Charity run by a Committee of volunteer parents/carers as well as two Managers Tammy Brandon and Christine Hall. Together they supervise a team of well qualified friendly staff.
We are registered to provide care for children from the age of 30 months to 5 years 38 weeks of the year. Our opening hours are 9.00 am - 3.00 pm Monday to Friday except Tuesdays where we close at 12.00 pm.
Our learning areas are divided between a large main hall, a small room that we use for story time, as well as an outdoor area where we have a mud kitchen, music wall and pirate ship role play area. We also have a small grassed area where the children play and learn all about caring for plants and exploring mini beasts.