Download printable version
Midday Assistant Job Specification
Term time only, Monday - Friday between 12-2pm.
We require a Midday Assistant to join our team of MDAs. The main purpose of the role is to
supervise the safety, well-being and provision of pupils during the lunch time period in designated
areas at all times as deployed by the Lead MDA.
Completed application forms should be sent to Mrs Reena Patel, Business Manager, at the school
address. CVs will not be accepted.
• The midday supervisor is expected to be a positive professional role model for the pupils at
the school and must therefore demonstrate a responsible caring attitude with regards to the
health, safety and welfare of the pupils and the team at all times. The midday supervisors'
conduct and supervision should ensure that the pupils behave at all times sensibly and
quietly, without shouting where-ever possible.
• Promote the high expectation of good manners by the pupils whilst they eat their lunch, this
would include ensuring pupils use their cutlery correctly, assisting those who have not
grasped this skill to do so.
• Deal with children's behaviour problems in accordance with the school's behaviour policy
and expectations and report persistent unruly behaviour and any serious incidents to the
• Discouraging any dangerous activities, dealing with and reporting any unacceptable or
challenging behaviour in accordance with school policies and guidelines.
• See that any spillage is removed quickly. Have an arrangement that a floor cloth, dustpan
and brush can be easily obtained if required.
• See that meal trays are not left in dangerous positions, and tables are wiped when
necessary, supervise the return of crockery and cutlery by the pupils.
• Ensure and assist the pupils to leave the tables and chairs clean for the next sitting.
• Be able to work effectively and professionally as part of a team.
• Good observation skills at all times in ensuring the well-being and safety of pupils whilst at
work on the school premises.
• Ability to follow instructions.
• Understand and implement the school's behaviour management policy.
• Confident and outspoken - be able to deal with unruly behaviour effectively.
Essential Qualifications & Skills:
No formal entry requirements, basic numeracy and literacy
An Enhanced DBS check will be undertaken.
• To comply with safeguarding policies, procedures and code of conduct
• To demonstrate a personal commitment to safeguarding and student/colleague wellbeing
• To ensure that any safeguarding concerns or incidents are reported appropriately in line with
• To engage in safeguarding training when required
Information about the School
Colchester High School has a proud and reputable history of providing students with the best education possible. We have our own traditions, characteristics, strengths, and our own – extremely high – standards.
Everybody associated with Colchester High School shares our ethos of small classes and high-quality individualised teaching. By sticking to these key principles, we can ensure that every pupil is given the opportunity to reach their full academic potential.