Download printable version
Maldon Community Pre-School are looking for an experienced manager to lead a team of 7 staff and join us in providing quality early years education in the heart of Maldon
1. A minimum Level 3 early years education and childcare qualification (e.g. Pre-school Learning
Alliance Diploma in Pre-school Practice, NVQ 3, or equivalent) and a commitment to obtaining
further qualifications as appropriate.
2. Post-qualification experience in running or helping to run a similar service for at least two years.
3. A sound understanding of child development and children's needs with an ability to plan and
implement an early years age/stage appropriate curriculum, taking into account the SEN Code of
Practice, child protection procedures and equal opportunities' considerations.
4. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing. This includes the ability to establish rapport and
credibility with parents and the ability to produce clear, concise and well-written reports, e.g. for
disciplinaries, business plans for recruitment purposes etc.
5. Ability to use Microsoft Office packages effectively and to produce reports and correspondence
in a professional and accurate format.
6. Ability to build good partnership working relationships with staff and other professionals.
7. Ability to communicate the need for quality and continuous improvement, and influence good
practice through own example.
8. Ability to inspire people to deliver results, high standards and set clear objectives for self and the
team, taking appropriate and timely action to ensure targets are achieved.
9. Ability to support the development of his/her team through regular discussion and team meetings
which encourage two way communication and sharing of ideas and expectations.
10. Ability to communicate in a variety of ways and with people at all levels and adopt a
communication method appropriate for the listener or audience.
11. Experience of effective staff management and objective setting, performance management (oneones, appraisals, feedback).
12. Experience of co-ordinating curriculum planning for a childcare and early education setting.
13. Emotionally resilient and able to handle competing demands, remaining calm under pressure.
14. Able to work on own initiative.
15. Demonstrates professionalism in approach to managing all issues.
16. Experience of problem solving.
17. Good customer awareness.
18. An ability to engage with parents/carers in respect of their own needs for advice, education and
19. Demonstrable and detailed knowledge of current legislation relevant to the Early Years.
20. A commitment to the Pre-school Learning Alliance's aims and objectives.
21. Ability to travel to other sites within the county and work flexibly.
22. Commitment to attend in service training and development opportunities available.
23. Ability to effectively market the setting to maximise occupancy levels and fee income.
24. Ability to manage the setting resources to ensure that the setting's expenditure is in line with its
Desirable but not essential:
1. Experience or knowledge of the voluntary sector.
2. Early Years Professional, Early Years Foundation Degree or Level 4 qualification or higher.
3. Leadership and Management qualification.
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) and does require an enhanced
DBS check. Applicants must be prepared to disclose any convictions they may have and any orders
which have been made against them.