Download printable version
Point Range 8 to 12 (£10.34 - £11.19 per hour)
The cleanliness and maintenance of the school site in the absence of the Site Manager under the direction of the Head Teacher and Principle Deputy Head Teachers
Staff, Pupils, Contractors
To contribute to the smooth running of the School by carrying out mini bus driving duties as well as a range of caretaking duties including security and supervision of the site and related equipment and other caretaking duties including porterage, cleaning and maintenance.
The duties of the post as outlined will be subject to the appropriate risk assessment, safe systems of work and appropriate equipment being available and the relevant competencies of the post holder. Through this role to promote and imbed the ethos of St. Mary's as a caring Christian community, that promotes life in all its fullness.
· Act as a Key Holder and carrying out security procedures for the buildings and grounds. The routine and non-routine opening of the premises and grounds. Responding to calls outside normal working hours as a result of break ins etc. and or the setting off the intruder alarm.
· Providing access where possible, to the premises and classrooms in the event of snow or minor flooding or similar emergencies.
· Attempting to prevent unauthorised access onto the school premises or grounds. (Note: in fulfilling this responsibility all employees are expected to work within established school procedures and the code of practice No. 32(S) Managing violence in Schools).
Caretaking & Maintenance
· Secondary cleaning where appropriate.
· Washing & cleaning of diffusers and replacing bulbs/tubes.
· Carrying out first line repairs and maintenance which are not beyond the capabilities and scope of the post holder including:
· Plumbing work - e.g. repairing a leaking pipe, simple installation work such as plumbing in a new tap, or replacing a washer etc.
· Redecoration as appropriate
· Plastering work such as repairing cracked or broken plaster, making good damaged walls for example following the removal of shelving or other similar fittings
· Fencing and boundary repairs, e.g. mending broken fence panels or stakes
· Glazing work, such as replacing smaller windows, re-beading or re-puttying glass panes, internally and externally. (Note: Specialist contractors would be used for repairs to large window panes
· Taking delivery of stores, materials and other goods and distributing them accordingly
· Ensuring that adequate supplies of cleaning materials and other supplies are available
· Litter picking and other related tasks to maintain the cleanliness of the school site
· Operating the heating plant so that temperatures are maintained in the premises and an adequate supply of hot water is available.
· Ensuring that all caretaking and cleaning equipment is in a safe working condition and arranging repair as appropriate
· Carrying out school based procedures in the event of fire, flood, breaking and entering, accident or major damage.
· Testing portable electrical equipment if trained and accredited to do so.
· Driving the school minibus to trips, sporting events, swimming etc.
· Preparing the school site for out of school activities
· At all times to carry out the duties in accordance with school based policies and health and safety procedures
· Such other duties relating to the use of the premises as may be necessary from time to time in accordance with established local practice or within the reasonable requirements of the Head teacher and Governing Body.
· The duties may be varied by the Head teacher and/or Governing Body to meet changed circumstances in a manner compatible with the post held
· To participate in the performance and development review process, taking personal responsibility for identification of learning, development and training opportunities in discussion with line manager
· To comply with individual responsibilities in accordance with the role for health and safety in the work place
· Ensure all duties and services provided are in accordance with the schools equal opportunities policy
· The Governing Body is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.
Information about the School
Our school is rapidly improving and expanding under new headship. We strive to enhance the lives of our children with a solid education underpinned with strong Christian values. We are at the centre of community life and have strong links with the parish church of St. Mary's, Prittlewell.