Download printable version
Responsible for: Management of school sites, liaison with School staff, contractors, the public/hirers
To contribute to the smooth running of the School by organising and managing the site team and undertaking effective supervision, caretaking maintenance, Health & Safety and security of the site and related resources.
The duties of the post as outlined will be subject to the appropriate risk assessment, safe systems of work and appropriate equipment being available and the relevant competencies of the postholder.
Security and Supervision
- To organise and manage the work of the site team.
- Act as keyholder and carrying out security procedures for the buildings and grounds. The routine and non-routine opening of premises and grounds. Responding to calls outside normal working hours as a result of break-ins etc. and/or the setting off of the burglar alarm(s).
- Providing access, where possible, to the premises and classrooms in the event of snow or minor flooding or similar emergency situations.
- Dealing with enquiries from officers and employees of the Local Authority and Diocese, workers and contractors and, where appropriate in liaison with the Headteacher, the school's Business Manager and the Grants and Appeals Officer.
- Attempting to prevent unauthorised access onto the school premises or grounds.(Note: in fulfilling this responsibility all employees are expected to work within established school procedures and the Code of Practice No. 32(S) Managing Violence in Schools).Monitoring and ensuring cleanliness of the School premises and furnishings.
Caretaking and maintenance
- Operating the heating plant so that the required temperatures are maintained in the premises and an adequate supply of hot water is available. Carrying out frost precaution procedures.
- Making arrangements for the carrying out of routine procedures or inspections on ancillary equipment, e.g. checking automatic pumps and areas subject to flooding, and the maintenance of batteries.
- Carrying out school based procedures in the event of fire, flood, breaking and entering, accident or major damage.
- To identify and prioritise maintenance requirements and prepare and organise work programmes.
- To arrange for the caretaking team (including the postholder) to carry out first line repairs and maintenance which are not beyond the competence of the staff concerned:-
- plumbing work - e.g. repairing a leaking pipe, simple installation work, such as plumbing in a new tap, or replacing washer etc.;
- redecoration as appropriate;
- plastering work such as repairing cracked or broken plaster, making good damaged walls, for example, following the removal of say, shelving or similar fittings;
- fencing and boundary repairs, e.g. mending broken fencing panels or stakes, repairing holes in chain link fences etc.;
- Glazing work, such as replacing smaller windows, re-beading or re-puttying glass panes, internal and external. N.B. Specialist contractors would be used for repairs to large windowpanes or double-glazed units or windows at a high level.
- Drawing up, or assisting in the drawing up of specifications, for work to be undertaken by contractors.
- Arranging for works to be undertaken and monitoring the progress of projects involving outside contractors.
- Making arrangements for the washing of internal walls, e.g. classrooms, corridors by the caretaking staff.
- Making arrangements for window cleaning. Ensuring that all areas within the confines of the site are free from litter and that all drains and gullies are free flowing and clean.
- Making arrangements for the delivery of stores, materials and other goods and their conveyance to their points of distribution. Dispatching laundry, goods, materials etc.
- Ensuring that adequate supplies of cleaning materials and other supplies are available.
- Ensuring that all caretaking equipment is in a safe and working condition and arranging for their repair as appropriate.
- Preparing the school premises and site for out of school activities and clearing up after these activities.
· Testing portable electrical equipment if trained and accredited to do so.
· Assisting in the recruitment and selection of site staff and the allocation of duties and hours of work.
· Planning own work and that of assistant(s). Issues relating to supervision/ management of staff.
· Provide/arrange the appropriate induction and training of assistant(s).
· Completing claims for caretaking fees for lettings and making out forms for the requisition of stores and repairs.
· Maintenance of Inventory of/in respect of equipment. Carrying out an annual check of equipment against the Inventory.
· Liaising with the cleaning contractor and quality assuring the cleanliness of the school.
Health & Safety
- Ensuring the implementation and compliance with appropriate Codes of Practice throughout the School (in relation to premises and caretaking/cleaning issues) in liaison with the Health and Safety Officer for the School.
- Monitoring the appropriate premises and caretaking Health and Safety procedures in use in the School and reporting any issues to the Health and Safety Officer for the School.
- Such other duties relating to the use of the premises and site as may be necessary from time to time in accordance with established local practice or with the reasonable requirements of the School and Governing Body.
- To participate in the performance and development review process, taking personal responsibility for identification of learning, development and training opportunities in discussion with line manager.
- To comply with individual responsibilities, in accordance with the role, for health & safety in the workplace
- Ensure that all duties and services provided are in accordance with the School's Equal Opportunities Policy
- The Governing Body is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment.
The duties may be varied by the Headteacher and/or Governing Body to meet changed circumstances in a manner compatible with the post held.
Information about the School
Our school is rapidly improving and expanding under new headship. We strive to enhance the lives of our children with a solid education underpinned with strong Christian values. We are at the centre of community life and have strong links with the parish church of St. Mary's, Prittlewell.