Download printable version
Head of MFL
Salary: Main / Upper Ranges + TLR 2B - £4,781 per annum
Fulltime, Fixed Term Maternity Cover
Required for September 2019
A Head of Department is sought to cover a period of maternity leave for up to a maximum period of one academic year. An experienced MFL Teacher with a specialism in French and/or Spanish to take the next step in their teaching career is required to join this 'Good' school (rated by Ofsted in December 2018) and a faculty passionate about their students and about those students succeeding and achieving their 'Personal Best'.
The MFL department has in recent years extended its curriculum offer to include Spanish and as a result of its success both French and Spanish are now offered as options at Key Stage 4 and in French at Key Stage 5. Results for French last June 2018 were very good with 92% of the cohort achieving a pass at GCSE.
As Head of Department you will be responsible for:
- Progress and attainment of individual students within the subject area, which involves seeking ways to raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the subject area and to monitor and support student progress.
- Develop and enhance the teaching practice of others.
- The production and deployment of resources.
- Schemes of Work and communication of course and assessment criteria to staff
- Monitoring student assessment and liaison with the Head of Faculty.
Applicants will need to evidence their experience, skills and attributes to fulfil this role efficiently and effectively, as well as demonstrate the ability to accept new ideas and a thorough commitment to student learning, with evidence of high level of their subject specialism and professional development. A proven ability to be flexible and adaptable, as well as display a positive attitude to meet the needs of the curriculum, as well as their faculty and school wide initiatives. We want staff with the vision and determination to ensure all our students receive a first class education and who will rise to the challenge of building on success.
In return the successful candidate can expect:
- Work life balance with a continental school day of 07:55 to 14:10
- Comprehensive tailored induction programmes
- Mentor / Buddy System
- Outstanding Teacher Programmes
- An extensive support programme, including a system of twilights
- Commitment to continuing professional development, including MA / MSc and other courses
- Excellent career development opportunities
- Various staff benefits including access to the gymnasium and swimming pool
If you feel that The King Edmund School is the type of school you are seeking, please apply by completing the application form available from our school website and email to email@example.com.
Closing Date for applications is Friday17 May 2019 (midday)
Interviews to be conducted week commencing 20 May 2019
The King Edmund School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment and undergo an enhanced DBS check as part of our Safer Recruitment & Selection Procedures.
Information about the School
The King Edmund School is a high performing school with specialist status for Business, Enterprise and Applied Learning. The school has 1600 students, including over 200 in the Sixth Form.
The school prides itself on its excellent facilities, state of the art technology and innovative and progressive curriculum at all levels and across all key stages.
Students are well cared for and given every opportunity to shine. Extra curricular opportunities are varied and numerous.
The King Edmund School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment and undergo an enhanced DBS check as part of our Safer Recruitment Procedures.