Download printable version
School Business Manager
Required - May 2019
Essex Pay Band April 2019
Band 4, Point 28 (£31371) to Band 5, Point 33 (£35934)
37 hours per week 52 weeks per year
Mersea Island School is a large, friendly and well-respected primary school with a strong ethos of team work. It occupies a special position at the heart of a unique island community. We have a talented staff, delightful children, a spacious and well-ordered learning environment and supportive parents and governors.
The governors are seeking to appoint an experienced and dedicated school business manager. As a member of the senior leadership team, reporting directly to the headteacher, you will share in the collective management of the school in support of our goal of providing an outstanding education for all of our pupils. The role includes:
- All aspects of financial and human resources management.
- Resources and facilities management.
- Line management of site staff, the catering and midday team and office staff.
- Marketing and promoting the school.
- Income generation and bids for funding.
Demonstrating you are capable of providing strategic leadership, you will have the vision and drive to develop all aspects of the school's non-teaching infrastructure. You will have:
- Sound experience of financial management and budgetary control in schools with the relevant qualifications.
- Understanding of income generation strategies.
- Experience of IT and knowledge of accounting and school management information systems.
- Understanding and knowledge of human resources and payroll.
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to effectively line-manage staff.
- A high degree of motivation to be fully committed to working in a school environment.
- A willingness and passion to get involved in the wider aspects of school life.
- The skills to promote a positive image of the school through your work.
- The ability to work to deadlines, on your own initiative as well as part of a team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
This is a challenging, varied and rewarding post in which no day is likely to be quite the same. We can offer:
- An established, friendly and motivated team of staff.
- A pleasant and spacious working environment.
- A strong leadership team and supportive governors.
- Continuing professional development.
- Salary growth potential.
- The opportunity to help shape the future direction of the school.
The governors expect all staff and volunteers to share our commitment to safeguarding children. We follow safe recruitment practices and all appointments are subject to successful DBS checks.
Visits to the school are strongly encouraged, by appointment.
For details and an application form, please contact Sharon Jay at the above address or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about the School
Mersea Island School currently has 437 pupils aged 2-11, this includes a nursery with capacity for up to 48 children. It is the only school on the island, serving a closely knit community. The school is located on Mersea Island, off the coast of Essex and close to Colchester. The area surrounding the school in the town of West Mersea is semi-rural. The island is famous for its oyster cultivation and traditional fishing boats, and has a history of sailing. Pupils derive from a very mixed social background, and many of the pupils have parents and grandparents who attended the school.